Golf Course Superintendent
O’Bannon Creek Golf Club is a private golf club in Loveland Ohio, a northeast suburb of Cincinnati. The club opened in the summer of 1976 and over the years has played host to numerous local, state, and regional events. It was developed by the Club’s original charter members and was designed by Dennis Acomb.
The member-owned private club opened on July 17, 1976, with 280 members. Many improvements have been made to the golf course and other facilities throughout the years, including the construction of the current practice facility in 1994 and the current clubhouse in 1998.
The Club’s name is taken from the many creeks and streams that meander through the course and empty into the O’Bannon Creek, which borders the property. The creek was named after Colonel John O’Bannon, a surveyor for George Washington’s land.
The Club offers unparalleled facilities and amenities that include an 18-hole golf course. In addition to the championship golf course, O’Bannon Creek offers its members and guests, a state-of-the-art practice facility. Golfers of all abilities can work on both their long and short game on one of the finest practice facilities in the area. Over an acre of bent grass teeing area is available for full shot practice.
After a round, or anytime, members enjoy delicious food in the cozy, relaxing atmosphere of the beautiful restaurant. Service options include dining in the casual Grill Room with recently enlarged and remodeled Bar, the more formal Dining Room or outside on the covered Veranda.
Throughout the year, the Club hosts a variety of events for members of every age to enjoy - from themed dining events, to holiday celebrations and golf tournaments.
The golf course is open year-round (weather permitting) with the formal golf season being April 1st through November 15th. In season, the Club is open 7 days a week. This position is a full time, year-round position.
- The current Golf Course Superintendent, who is respected by the staff, members, and the Board of Trustees, will be retiring in December after 43 years of service to the Club. The Club is looking forward to welcoming fresh perspectives, ideas, and strategies with the arrival of the new superintendent.
Here is the link to the Club’s web site: https://www.obannoncreek.com/
- The Golf Course Superintendent shall have authority and responsibility for all operations of the grounds department.
- This position will be responsible to provide a high level of maintenance to all acreage. The property consists of 187 total acres with 150 acres being the golf course.
The specific duties of the Golf Course Superintendent are:
l Interview, hire, develop and supervise staff of 11-15 employees for the purpose of maintaining the property.
l Responsible for purchasing, storage and application of all related materials and equipment used in the department.
l With the Grounds Committee Chairman and the Director of Golf and Administration, prepare annual operating budgets for the department and capital improvements for the golf course and club grounds.
l Responsible for keeping accurate records relating to expenses, personnel, weather, inventories, maintenance of equipment, fertilizer, and pesticide applications.
l Maintains operation and maintenance of irrigation system, water wells, and pump stations.
l Plans all maintenance and project work, applying agronomic and administrative expertise to achieve the agreed-upon maintenance standards (as listed in the club’s Grounds Standards Manual) and long-range goals.
l Communicate regularly with membership informing them of course conditions and projects.
l Responsible for the upkeep and maintenance of golf course maintenance equipment and building and all other buildings and structures on the golf course.
l Performs other tasks that may be reasonably requested by Grounds Committee Chairman and the Director of Golf and Administration.
The successful candidate will:
1. Be a hands-on, self-motivated and enthusiastic team player and leader.
2. Have an approachable personality and be comfortable conversing with the membership, either as a group or one to one.
3. Be a person of high personal positive energy, work ethic, enthusiasm, and pride.
4. Have a proven track record of building, organizing, and mentoring a team of skilled employees.
5. Be visible and accessible to both the membership and the staff.
6. Exhibit a willingness to be open to new ideas and suggestions from the Grounds Committee and take action as necessary.
Skills and Experience
The successful candidate will:
1. Have proven experience with climate conditions and grass species in the mid-west region. The club is primarily covered in Penncross bent grass.
2. Possess a degree in Agronomy from an accredited institution of higher learning or a Certificate of Agronomy. (highly recommended).
3. Possess strong organizational and managerial skills.
4. Have the ability to implement systems and controls for all areas of the department.
5. Possess a knowledge of Human Resource issues.
6. Possess respectable written and verbal communication skills.
7. Have an eye for detail and the ability to maintain all related facilities at a high level.
8. Be experienced in equipment maintenance, purchasing or leasing, and upkeep.
9. Be familiar with and possess required certifications as required by the GCSAA, OSHA and other compliance organizations, including a pesticide applicator’s license.
OPPORTUNITIES AND EXPECTATIONS
The incoming Golf Course Superintendent will face a number of opportunities, including:
1. The development of a long-term master plan to keep the 44-year-old golf course relevant in the market.
2. Continue with the initiatives begun over the past few years:
a. Improve green conditions, speed, and health.
b. Level teeing areas and improve bunker conditions.
c. Increase drainage capability in playing areas.
d. Remove/improve trees, shrubbery and landscaping.
The successful candidate can anticipate a compensation package that is commensurate for this position in the market at a club of this size and location.
James K. Muldowney CCM
Jmuldowney@clubresources.com or 847-830-7048