Boone County Fiscal Court
2nd Assistant Golf Course Superintendent
The responsibility of the 2nd Assistant Golf Course Superintendent is to assist the Golf Course Grounds Superintendent, Senior Assistant Grounds Superintendent, and 1st Assistant Superintendent with supervision, training, planning, and evaluating staff and processes. Attention to detail and ability to communicate to the staff is imperative for providing a safe, highly effective and efficient team. Duties are performed under the general direction of the Golf Course Superintendent, Senior Assistant Grounds Superintendent, and 1st Assistant Superintendent.
Major Essential Duties
* Ensures the course is in proper playing condition.
* Assist in oversight of cool season grass management in the transition zone.
* Assist in management of general chemical, fertilizer, and irrigation practices to include ensuring proper pesticide/fertilizer application and calibration.
* Maintain and apply a working knowledge of golf course equipment.
* Train staff and follow-up on job performance.
* Managing a crew of seasonal employees.
* Making daily golf course maintenance assignments in accordance with agronomic/turf management plan.
* Assist in required administrative work related to the golf course as assigned such as paperwork and computer data entry.
* Assist in customer service and ensure staff is customer service oriented.
* Perform duties related to 2nd Assistant Golf Course Superintendent position but not expressly stated.
* Maintain a clean shop area and keep it orderly and efficient.
* Assist with needs at both Boone County golf courses when necessary.
* Be available for snow removal, when needed by the County.
* Be available for training opportunities as provided by County.
The 2nd Assistant Golf Course Superintendent performs duties within the Golf Course Grounds Department under the direct supervision of the Golf Course Grounds Superintendent, Senior Assistant Grounds Superintendent, and 1st Assistant Superintendent.
Education and/or Experience
* 2-4 year degree in Turf Management or 3+ years as an Assistant Superintendent
* 3-5 years’ previous golf course maintenance experience
* Must have or have the ability to obtain a Kentucky Pesticide Applicators license
* Ability to communicate effectively in English both orally and in writing
* Ability to read, analyze, and interpret policies, procedures, equipment manuals, and safety documents
* Strong interpersonal as well as written and oral communication skills
* Ability to add, subtract, multiply and divide in all units of measure
* Solves practical problems
* Reading a ruler/measurements
Certificates, Licenses, Registrations
* Possession of, or ability to obtain promptly, a Commonwealth of Kentucky motor vehicle operator's license
Other Knowledge and/or Skills
* Ability to maintain and work within a set budget
* Work in a team environment
* Basic knowledge of the game of golf preferred
* Knowledge of and ability to use equipment and tools properly and safely
* Strong attention to detail, with a passion for excellence and a great team attitude
* Computer proficiency with Microsoft Word, Excel and PowerPoint
While performing job duties, the employee could reasonably be expected to:
* Regularly (over 2/3 of regular work day)
o Stand or walk
o Talk or hear
o Lift and/or move up to 50 pounds safely
o Operate a vehicle
* Occasionally (under 1/3 of regular work day)
o Stand or walk
o Reach with hands and arms
o Use hands to type, handle papers, tools etc.
Vision requirements include close, distance, color and peripheral vision, depth perception and the ability to adjust focus
* Temperature level will vary depending on season
* Moisture level will vary from extreme dry to rain, snow, and icy conditions
* This employee is required to do physical exertion such as long periods of standing, walking, recurring bending, crouching, stooping, stretching, reaching, and lifting of moderately heavy items
* May work overtime as required
Must display the following:
* Positive communication
* Willingness to solve problems
* Commitment to serve the county's best interests
* Must adhere to the applicable provisions of the Department Rules and Regulations, the Personnel Policy Manual, the Boone County Administrative Code, the Kentucky Revised Statutes, and any other procedures, rules, regulations, and policies set forth by appropriate authorities
* Must be neat in appearance
* Must be 18 years or older
* Must have personal integrity and remain free of felony convictions